K-Blogg

Monday, February 23, 2009

is IronCross detrimental to a successful CX season???

Your thoughts...

And advice...

Please

Thanks

(EDIT--added after 7 comments)
So basically Training and Racing to do well at Ironcross can slow the start of a very short CX season. We do a bunch of 60 milers in New Kent County leading up to IC. It's good base for CX, but I think the zip is lacking...
So I think this year I will still do those rides because they're great, but I will throw in traditional CX efforts throughout the week in order to be more CX race ready. I've done all but one Ironcross and don't see myself missing it in the future... I mean, I did it last year with a broken neck, and the year before with a big ol hematoma on the hip! This year I think I will try and ride it rather than race it because I want to put more effort into my 09 CX season. Each year it becomes more and more of what I want to do.
Another big ride is the SM100!!! I have done 5 editions of an available 10 and want to continue doing them. There's nothing like it. I don't train for that one at all and tend to use that one 100miler as my CX base training camp!!! It's just a really fun weekend in the mtn with great peeps and it's hardly a race for someone posting times like me and more of an epic ride...
So I really appreciate all the feedback, it's been very helpfull in my decision/plan making...
I want to focus on the Mabra CX races and a few MAC's in the killer B fields. Starting positions are key and they do call ups so doing well in the first races is key.
Feel free to continue commenting on this topic and wht i've added...
Thanx--Kevin

7 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM EST , Blogger nPlusOne said...

    Never having raced Ironcross nor ever having a successful CX season, I think I'm qualified to comment...I see you all start transitioning to the cx bikes around late August to early September for the early October race. Trashmore practices for race pace drills and Danbo led Williamsburg rides for miles and off road terrain all benefit both the Ironcross race and the CX season. One detriment I see is if your goal is to win the BAR category in VACX and Ironcross falls on the same date as VACX races as it has in the last few years. You lose up to 2 races that can either count towards your points or be throw-aways if you scored badly in other races.
    Another detriment may be the lack of transition period if you are coming off a long road season. If you make Ironcross your "A" race in the fall then you may have a tendency to taper off after that race since you've been training hard for road season since January.

     
  • At 1:42 PM EST , Blogger Jerry said...

    It took the place of two races for me because I didn't have the intensity and drive of the Billy Goat --who won a CX race and drove up to Ironcross the same day. So yes, I will blame IronX for my lackluster CX season. Plus I really could have used a new ride this year, thanks UPS.

     
  • At 5:39 PM EST , Blogger Darren said...

    I have done both, and I think it depends on your training. I am coming from the mountain bike side. I am training for the SM100 so I have big base of long miles of going slowly up hills. Two years ago I started getting ready for cross, but still seamed to have that endurance for riding a 10 hour race, so then to do a 4-5 hour race about 6 weeks later, isn't that bad. Now I have never crushed it at cross. I think if you are at the level that you want to win your division I think Iron Cross is too long of a race to race well there, and to crush at CX. But people like Roger Masse, and some others place well at both.

     
  • At 8:21 PM EST , Blogger Liz Schleeper said...

    Probably not IMHO. The detriment is missing 2 races in VA Series but you seemed more focused on larger races anyway. Plus, Bill managed to do the Sat race. If you conclude IC is not good, you would really need to examine Shen Mt 100 that you do every year I would think. Darren makes good points.

     
  • At 9:58 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bla Bla Bla,

    It might hurt your first race or 2 after the IC, but it's 45-60 min for a rcae, and in a few hard fought intervals in the middle of the week, you can snap into cross race form pretty quickly. You can do well at both if you try hard enough. It's all about motivation!

     
  • At 12:52 AM EST , Blogger angry buddhist said...

    well, who gives a crap if you're having fun!

    and how can racing hurt your racing?

     
  • At 9:35 AM EST , Blogger SAMBO said...

    Yes.
    and training is bad too. I plan on sitting around and eating donuts till cross season.
    mmmm donuts

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home