Saturday, July 19, 2008

off the chain

First of all, thanks to all the well wishers already! They have been pouring in as the news spreads...
Here is the email i composed while laying in the hospital bed for so many hours.

If I only knew the reasons I do some of the things I do...
I picked up Judy from camp and we hit DQ for some girl scout cookie blizzards
(yum) and then home. We played with Chuck for a bit and then went to the garage
for her to ride her bike and me to get mine ready for the Sat morn ride. In our
garage we have this chain hanging from the ceiling from previous owners. I would
assume it was for a punching bag or something like that. I usually can be found
swinging on it. Well today I decided to do a flip on it while hanging from it.
As I got vertical the chain let loose from the ceiling and I fell to the floor
landing on the back of my head the left shoulder. Right in front of poor Judy. I
felt my head with my hand and checked for blood and sure enough my whole palm
was red. I remained calm and grabbed a towel and applied pressure and Judy and I
headed to the hospital. I totally should have called 911. I forgot that I work
for the city and they would have been there in a second. The ER was a mess as
you can imagine, a full house. I was a mess and I didn't seem to get any sense
of urgency. I had a hard time trying to fill out the paperwork. And finally
after they wouldn't give me any time frame as to if or when I'd be seen, I left!
That's right I left. I threw my chart at the man and walked holding my head high
(with my hand of course). I went across the street to patient first where I
usually go and they freaked. They were like you need to go to the hospital like
now. I was like helloooo, been there, got the wristband, they were too busy for
They cleaned me up a bit, hooked up an iv, and ekg and by then the ambulance
showed. They were like alright a city worker! They really had a good time with
me and I expect a lot of ribbing when I get back to the shop come monday. This
gave me a ride to the front of the line! Everywhere I went looked like a murder
scene as I was losing a lot of blood. I quickly got a room, and here I sit in my
hosp bed with 5 stitches in my head awaiting a cat scan. The doc was talking
about staples which would have been cool but stitches are just fine.
What a way to start the weekend.
The Judster was a real trooper for me. She broke down on me once but I told her
that she had to be strong for me because at the time I wasn't. I sent the girls
home a few hours ago as they don't need to watch me get stitched and scanned. I
hope they're up when I get outta here to pick me up!

So that's where I'm at. I feel very very lucky because initially I really felt
like I was a goner!
Try not to be stupid out there and don't hesitate to call 911, that's why there
I shouldn't have driven us around like I did, but I did what I thought I needed
to do even though it was wrong. I feel like I learned from that...

I will have pictures and all that good stuff out there soon.


P.S---im home and restless now! All is well

The best was during the initial eval the doc turned to my wife and daughter and asked if i was always this out of it and lethargic, to which they both said "oh yes"!

I keep trying to tell ya'll that i'm hard headed, but I guess I must prove it every now and then.

Today I woke up very late to a pillow soaked in blood. My head was leaking the pretty blue stitches must not be wrapped too tight (like me). The shower was a chore, trying to be careful around the hole in my head while still trying to wash out dried and crusty blood from my hair. I think I did a pretty nice job though it took a while. We then headed for the beach where we chilled for a few hours at 77th street. The water was awesome, and the waves were kickin! It was killing me not to go fully in the water. I really enoyed the family time, and just relaxing on the beach. My dumb ass move has put me in vacation mode! Came home and made some home made organic pizzas and I had some tasty red wine. The swelling has gone down, and i feel back to my normal and witty self! A little sore in the back, shoulder, and neck, but that's too be expected.
I was looking forward to racing Bryan Park tomorrow, but theres just no way.
Good job to all who TT'd today, and good luck tomorrow!

As hairy as I am, they laughed as they stuck these ekg pads all over me! I left them on until this morning. This one placed by my heart I had to freakin cut off with scissors OUCH!



  • At 9:46 PM EDT , Blogger MRussell said...

    damn homie. I know you're alright but how is the garage floor? My brother is a concrete contractor, so if you need someone to fix the hole in the floor, I got the hook up for ya. Cause I'm sure the floor looked worse than that little scratch on your head... ;-)

    Be well.

    hup hup.

  • At 10:12 PM EDT , Blogger Silly said...

    Heal fast dawg. Cats land on their feet, and they have nine lives!!!
    Sally and Mike

  • At 12:32 AM EDT , Blogger Emma said...

    I hope you feel better soon Kevin! Keep the faith!

  • At 9:48 AM EDT , Blogger Marco said...

    Dawg! What in the hell have you done this time?! Well buddy get better and while you have a little down time work on organizing The Summit. I'm heading to the Mother Ship on the 27 so let's do it this week. I'll bring the Land Shark...that should make you feel better!

  • At 11:05 AM EDT , Blogger Rob said...

    I think you did the right thing- you being a survivor, kicked into survival mode and took care of business- don't feel bad about that. Hope you heal up quick!

  • At 10:14 PM EDT , Blogger nPlusOne said...

    If I lived that close to Chesapeake General as you do, I would have driven too.
    Glad you're OK.

  • At 5:41 AM EDT , Blogger Joshua said...

    Yeah who needs 911. 911 is for wimps anyway. I was wondering where you were. Missed you at Bryan Park. Take care, see you soon.

  • At 7:51 PM EDT , Blogger Liz Schleeper said...

    Lethargic?! Well, those pauses during phone conversations, yes, lethargic! So glad you are ok. Great to see 757.cx.

  • At 1:47 PM EDT , OpenID brianellin said...

    Oh man, glad you are okay.

  • At 1:09 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dern Brother, Glad your ok man,
    I made the mistake of not calling 911 last summer when I was hit by that dumb $#@*&!! driving the PT Cruiser.. looking back on it, should have made the call. tell the ladies I said hello, Oi!


  • At 8:59 AM EDT , Blogger D-BO!! said...

    wow, nobody bothered sayin nuttin to me about it???????????(i was wondering where you were at sunday?) get well, i know head injuries like no 1`s buissness...see ya friday nite.

  • At 11:28 AM EDT , Blogger Jimmy D said...

    Looks like that scar could be the beginning of a bald spot.

    Get better dude

  • At 5:48 PM EDT , Anonymous sam said...

    wow. The photo of the ekg pad looks like a hairy eyeball.

    freaky. glad you are ok.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home