K-Blogg

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Velocity

OK, I got my brand spankin new Velocity wheels handbuilt by Velocity from my friends at Slingshot (two very fine cycling company's in snowy Michigan)!

They are titanium in color with black spokes, and black hubs. If you look on they're website, you'll find quite the assortment of colors to be had. The wild colors look best on the deep V.

I'm also trying some little red plastic caps called veloplugs which eliminates the use of rim tape. Don't you just despise rim tape? They claim to be lighter in weight. I'm excited, and it seems like a good thing. I did end up placing a sram sticker to cover the weld of the rim.

They seem like a quality build, and have a little tag indicating who built them, and date. I went with a very high spoke count for a bombproof all around wheelset tha I can use as road trainers and cross.

I have Specialized all condition tires mounted for heavy duty winter base building rides. They look and feel heavy duty, and the color scheme goes well with the Slingshot dd-x.
The first ride on them was a 60 miler early Christmas Eve morning at the Beach. I can very simply say that they're moderate in weight (which is good considering the low cost, and with racing tires, they will feel even lighter). Very stiff! Dare I say that they rival the stiffness of Ksyrium SLs? (it's true). I also like the quietness of the freehub. It's very stealth like...


I will write more about them as I ride them...












6 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM EST , Blogger Touring Fred said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:49 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    why not a rim with no holes????????

     
  • At 5:45 PM EST , Blogger fire fitness and bikes said...

    Nice set up. Let me know how they are because I am looking to replace my training road wheels this year, as well as getting another set of cross wheels for next season.

     
  • At 5:47 PM EST , Blogger Rob Tripp said...

    that deleted comment had to be about those veloplugs- was it not? Velox, Baby... love it.

     
  • At 7:06 PM EST , Blogger Kevin said...

    Danbo, a rim with no holes??? Ksyriums are hole less. Maybe them pretty Fulcrums are like that too.

    Josh, these are the ticket for what you're looking for... See you Saturday morning!

    Rob--that was none other than Touring Fred, whoever that is... (i don't like him, and would Love to meet him or her personally for a good ol fashioned ass whoopin)
    Cmon, man rim tape is trendier than--oh let me stop!

     
  • At 2:28 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I race on dura-ace hubs laced to velocity aerohead tubular rims.

    Light, stiff, fast. I also have a deep V clincher wheelset for training. Do it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home