K-Blogg

Sunday, July 01, 2007

What doesn't kill you...

Will make you weak, and eventually kill you later on...


As you can see I had a close encounter with the curb yesterday. I made no promises that I would race today, and that I would see how things felt when I awoke. Well, things felt kinda alright, so we packed up and drove north to southside speedway in Richmond. I mis judged the timing which meant no good warm up for me. And it took a bit longer to get suited up, getting the chicken wings in the ol skinsuit was a sight indeed. My biggest issue was the damn hip, it hurts so bad... I just wanted to get out and race, and with no expectations of doing well just hanging in there and finishing was the goal. And the last thing I wanted to do was to go down again. Had to do what I'm not used to----race conservatively.

The weather was nice, just a little on the windy side for me. But that kept the breakaways in check. it was a good mix of 3's and 4's. The track condition was poor in my opinion. The turns were very choppy, and under hard accelerations I felt my wheels skipping underneath me. I doubt I will do this one again, due to course condition, and race distance. Whats up with a 9 mile race??? Thats not at all a dig to the promoters, officials, or any of that. We just need to go longer... The race went well, I felt suprisingly good. ( I'm stoked that I won't need any down time from the bike) I do feel like theres a slight concussion though, I am out of it, more than usual...
With 2 laps to go, the sprinter in me said "GO", man was he right! With one to go turn two Daniel Craft came out of his pedals and went high up the track taking a lot of people out of their line. I say nice work in keeping it upright! When that happened, it took me off the winner (Jeff Brandon's) wheel. Who knows what would have happened. I know that for me and my situation, it was the right thing to do to pull the plug and cruise in at 13th.

My boy Kevin Dillard was there shooting his Nikon like only he can do! Give him a couple of days and check velophotos.net for the hotness!





The Manimal, Me, and Dewey! Dewey kicked ass and got 3rd place ! Nice!


Photos by Sal

4 Comments:

  • At 10:26 PM EDT , Blogger nPlusOne said...

    Would have loved to stick around to watch the 3/4 race to support Steve and Fishsticks but by the time my 5 race ended (race lasted 12 mins or something like that), and changed clothes, the 4 race was almost over. I wasn't about to stay up there for another 2 hours to watch another 20 minute race. Plus, Pierce's BBQ was calling my name (would have been the VA Diner too if I took 460 home).

    And what's up with all you TP folks hitting the pavement lately. I saw Laura all band-aided up today. Hope you all recover soon.

     
  • At 7:52 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i thought the track was very smooth.......at least i got to race for 16 miles......good to see ya bounce back so quick dog....and yes, i`ll be back, i love that place, i could race there every weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 4:56 PM EDT , Blogger Kevin said...

    Ooooooh, I love me some Pierce's BBQ!
    The racing was ridiculasly short!
    We're starting a trend, wrecking is the new IN!

    thx d-bo

     
  • At 6:02 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The track was a bit choppy down low, but I liked it anyway. Short was good considering how little warm-up I got. And the Craft incident put a scare in me too. I thought he was going down for sure.
    Fun racing with you for a change.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home